Tuesday, October 2, 2007

My friend Ruth



I know that Ruth is going to kill me for this - but I had to take a moment and post about my friend Ruth. :-)

When my family first moved to our present location in November of 2005, we felt pretty lonely as we didn't really have any support system and we didn't know who to ask about where to go to the doctor, the vet, church, any of those things. It was hard, not having anyone to lean on. The first year was rough, but I learned a lot during that first year.

We started attending a local church in January of 2006 and slowly got connected to a few people there. However, it wasn't until we finally took the leap of joining a small group that God really blessed us with wonderful friends.

It is a funny story. I was unable to go to the meeting that our church has once a month, to try and connect people to small groups - but I sent Hunkahubby. He went and sat down at a table with other people with young children such as ours. He came back home telling me he signed us up for a group and that the people all seemed nice. He was excited, and I was terrified. Most people don't understand the part of me that gets a little phobic in social settings. People who have known me for a long time or have worked with me see me as really outgoing and social . . . but I would usually rather curl up and read a book or listen to music than be out 'socializing' with people.

The night of our first meeting, I tried to think of every excuse I could for why I couldn't go. Robert finally was like, "fine, I dont' care, don't go . . ." which he knew would kick me in the butt enough to make me go. I whined all the way there . . . "I'm not going to know anyone, what if they don't like us?" Well - God took care of that too.

When we got to the house (very close to ours), we went up to the door and rang the doorbell. A nice, but a little unsure (like me) lady opened the door and greeted us. I looked behind her and . . . there stood someone I had known since the 8th grade!! I could not believe it. Ruth's husband grew up in the same area I did and we had a lot of the same friends. He went to church around the corner from where I grew up going to church and our grandparents lived within a few miles of each other on the same road. How's that for finding a way to break the ice??

Our group went through our first study together and although we all got along well, it wasn't until we took the summer off that we realized how much we missed everyone. Our first meeting for the fall went really well and we were all really happy to see each other again - we seemed to connect even better this time than we did the last time. Maybe we all felt like it was time to loosen up. ;-)

Ruth's son and my son are about a year apart and they both LOOOVE Spiderman and Superheroes and just being boys . . . so we have had sleepovers and playdates and we enjoy every minute of it. Best of all - I have found a very good friend who I know I can rely and depend upon and she knows she can do the same with me. She loves having my kids over to play and I love having hers. It is a joy!

We went garage saleing last weekend, and as we were driving, we started saying the same things at the same time and quoting songs and movies . . . I KNEW that God had meant for her to be my friend - because I could be myself around her. I am SO THANKFUL.

So the picture at the top of the page is when our other friend Jennifer (from small group) came over and did our hair on the same morning. And just because I want to make Ruth laugh . . .

Here is a picture of Ruth in her pretty hair covering . . .



Don't kill me Ruth!!! I just wanted to use my blog to let you know that I'm so blessed that you are my friend and I'm sure we'll have many more exciting adventures together.

I just thought it was very interesting that when I looked up the name Ruth . . . I found out that her name means Friend and Compassion.

Your parents named you well.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

You are such a wonderful friend! I love that you just called me out of the blue to go eat ice cream! I'm so lucky to have you in my life. God has blessed me greatly to have met you. Love ya ... Please REMOVE those nasty pictures or I'll have to put you on my blog. :)