Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Reflecting on 2008

I've been working on this post for several weeks, but have not had time to put it all together until today. I reflected back on 2008 and realized we got to have a lot of fun last year!!

The two oldest children got to play Upward Basketball at our church.

They had a great time!

We witnessed a cool lunar eclipse, and I got pictures.

It snowed.

We broke child labor laws (not really).

The kids got cute haircuts (and they keep growing, no matter how hard I try to stop it.)

The Easter Bunny visited our house, as we celebrated the Sacrifice that we do not deserve.

We dressed up in pastels (Hunkahubby is wearing a purple shirt, isn't he handsome?)
to go to church.
We got to dig for dinosaur bones at the Children's Museum. And experienced other hilarity.

Daddy and #1 Daughter went on a Daddy/Daughter date - out to eat (CHINESE) and to school for a Math program.
I fed the other two kids McDonalds and them spun them around at the park until they yakked.

(Just kidding on the yakking thing . . .)

We celebrated our Family Birthday (Adoption Anniversary) by going to a WaterPark Hotel . . .

. . . and to the Children's Museum for their comic book exhibit.

The kids goofed off outside for a great photo opportunity.

We celebrated my 4th year as a Mommy.

My son lost all his teeth!

It got warm enough to play in the sprinkler!

We took our almost annual trip to Holiday World.

My oldest rode her first (and last, according to her) real roller coaster with Daddy.

The kids found their favorite ride, and rode it over . . .

. . . and over, and over.

On our way home, we visited the Gus Grissom Memorial and learned about astronauts.

We visited the Children's Museum . . . again . . . (gotta love memberships).

Grandpa gave his grandson a hair cut. BZZZZZZZ

We got a new kitty. I am now banned from any and all animal shelters and pet stores.

We went to the Zoo and Boo had a butterfly land on her head.
(I can't believe she held still long enough.)

Willow continued to be adorable, and I was forgiven for bringing another animal into the house.

We watched fireworks with our new neighbors!!!!

Best friends pretty much since birth, we've worked together, lived together, and now we get to raise our children just down the street from each other.

We went swimming . . . a lot.

Daddy had another birthday (and the candles are dyslexic.)

Hunkahubby and I went on a date to see the American Idols in concert. Hunkahubby drooled over Carly singing Heart.

And I screamed my head off for David Cook!

My oldest went to church camp for the first time, and loved it!

Boo turned 5 and had a Mexican Birthday Party.

And my oldest turned 8 and had her first big slumber party.

Her party was High School Musical/Basketball themed.

The two oldest started school and left Boo home with Daddy for ONE MORE YEAR.

We took matters into our own hands and took our own family photos.

And saved a ton of money by having them printed at Wal-mart.

As a special treat, we went to the local pizza/arcade place that also has outside rides and rode this ride over and over and over.

My oldest learned about gardening.

And Boo was eaten by a fish. (She survived, just like Jonah.)

We took a family vacation to Shipshewana over Labor Day
and took Michelle's daughter with us.
(Gosh they're cute.)

And they got their gangsta on . . .

The kids gave up their allowance at the orchard to ride a horse for the first time.
(And Hunkahubby snapped an incredible photo.)

We visited Uncle Bobby at the Antique Mall. (and purchased some cool old school lockers for the kids to keep their books and backpacks in at home.)

We relished Indiana in the fall.
(and again Hunkahubby got some great photos.)

I love the fall . . .

My son turned 5 and had his twin buddies spend the night.

I dressed up my cats for Halloween and they're just now starting to speak to me again.

The kids had a great time trick or treating in our neighborhood.

We ate too much at Thanksgiving, but were so thankful for what we had.

I survived another year. (this is my yummy birthday cake that Hunkahubby made me.)

Hunkahubby finally made me a BLUE Christmas tree (complete with matching presents!)

Willow played Santa, but was kind of a Scrooge about it.

We made Christmas cookies. A LOT of Christmas cookies.

Santa came to our house!

We had our family Christmas, and snapped a photo of the whole motley crew.

The kids camped out in the living room and had a blast.

We visited the Zoo and marveled at all the really cool lights they put up in December.

(These three are the best gifts I could ever receive . . .)

We had a Build-a-bear outing and added to our fuzzy family.


And we celebrated the new year in a laid back way - together.

All in all, we had a really good year. Even though there were some stressful times - the good outweighs the bad. And we are so thankful.

We're thankful for each other and for all that we have.

So if you're reading this - the one thing I hope you take away is that you don't have to have a lot of money to make some great memories that last forever. It isn't the "stuff" you give to your children . . . it's the time . . . and the love, that will make the biggest difference.

So here's to 2009 - and more great memories to treasure . . .

4 comments:

Memaw's memories said...

Thank you for taking us on a trip down your memory lane. You are such a special family.

God bless you for all you do for your family and for giving three lucky kids a great place to call HOME. I know they are all loved.

JenN said...

I know you had a serious point, but I can't stop laughing at the cats dressed up, and the fact that they're just starting to speak to you again. LOLOLOL

Barry Pike said...

Great post, Beth. :)

Tony and Rett said...

Now YOU made ME cry. What a beautiful way to recap the year. Your life is so special together, filled with many wonderful memories. You are creating a wonderful life for your kiddos! (And getting some pretty good perks yourself!)

It's late, but Happy New Year!