Friday, January 18, 2008

Nobody's Perfect

Everybody makes mistakes... Everybody has those days...
Everybody makes mistakes... Everybody has those days...
Everybody knows what, what I'm talkin' 'bout... Everybody gets that way...
(From "Nobody's Perfect" by Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus)

I am just having one of those weeks. I'm anxious about things to come, and trying hard to just deal with the present. I get like that sometimes. And then - things happen that make me remember what it was like to have anxiety as a kid . . .

Today was . . . REPORT CARD DAY (dum dum dum).

Yes, the first semester of school is already over. It's hard to believe. I have a son in Kindergarten and a daughter in 2nd Grade. My son, who is always so charming and quiet . . . we are learning is finally starting to come out of his shell . . . and his behavior did not get good marks on his report card. We had to have a long talk and a few things (like TV, his favorite thing) restricted until he starts improving. He was NOT happy.

My daughter, for some reason, ALWAYS freaks out on report card day - even though she always has all As and Bs. She is way too young to be freaking out about grades!! My rule is always this - if you are trying your very best, then you should have nothing to worry about. I know she is trying very hard, at everything except her handwriting . . . for some reason - she just can't seem to care about that. She struggles in Math - but I know how hard she tries, so I never get upset with her over that, we just try to figure out a better way to help.

After she got to hear her brother's lecture - she was REALLY worried about her report card . . . but it was great, she even improved in a few things. And her Music and Art grades were outstanding (my hubby is an artist and we are both music freaks) so this makes us very proud. Even though we had to have a small talk about her handwriting, her Daddy and I both told her how awesome she did. And she cried. No . . . she sobbed.

The poor child - she is so much harder on herself than anyone is on her. So - I have taken to singing the Hannah Montana song "Nobody's Perfect" to her, any time she feels like she is going to DIE because she made a tiny mistake. It works quite well, and is a song you can easily get stuck in your head . . . whether you like it or not.

And here's the thing - sometimes I have to sing this song to myself, and remember - that in the whole scheme of things . . . its not THAT bad.

So today - I'm leaving you with a quote - and that song you'll be hating me for getting stuck in your head . . . except when you need to remember that you are NOT perfect, and that everyone has those days.

Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy. ~Leo Buscaglia

No comments: